Be it the lockdown days or regular days; fitness is something that needs no specific day. With the increasing complications in lifestyle and many diseases following it, people are looking for several ways to stay fit. Keeping that in mind, many gyms and fitness clubs offer varieties of physical activities. Despite this, some prefer home workouts. And with the technology in our life, that becomes easier. Numerous apps-free or subscription-based are available to influence such interested groups. So, let’s look at some of the best workout apps available now.
1. J&J 7 Minute Workout App
The Johnson & Johnson official 7-minute workout app is one of the best workout apps available. It helps you to squeeze some exercise into your day at an intensity level that is precisely right for you. All you need is 7 minutes and the will to exercise to be fit and healthy.
A medium intensity J&J workout can include jumping jacks, pushups, wall chair, high-knee running in place, crunches, plank, side plank, tricep dips using a chair, and a few other moves. It does seem like a lot to pack into seven minutes, but Johnson & Johnson gets it done.
- Includes dynamic workout views.
- It has music as your guide, and this is one of the benefits of this app. You can play music directly from the app by simply swiping to the right in the circle of the red dots in the middle of the screen.
- This app is instructional. The automated voice of Chris Jordan in the background will help you with exercises and continually reminds you to breathe and relax.
- Exercises are timed, and between every exercise, there is a 5-second break, and between every workout, there is a 10-second work. These breaks are designed to allow you to rest, and they even tell you what exercise is coming next.
- Watch it, do it: The app has an individual on the screen who does the workout just as you do, and even a bit slower so that you can go at your own pace. The person is also there to guide you and make sure that you are doing the exercises correctly.
- Track it, share it: Workouts can be logged so that you can track your progress. These can also be shared on various platforms, which is fun and will keep you engaged in the process.
- This app fits fitness right into your life as its portable, powerful, and proven. It’s like carrying a gym in your hands.
- Quick’ anywhere’ workouts tailored to one’s fitness level.
- Great customization options.
- It is free.
- It has got the brand value and trust of a massive brand like Johnsons & Johnsons.
- Some workouts contain lopsided exercises, as they work out the left or right side without engaging the opposite side.
- It has less time for a break, which is only four seconds between sets by default.
- Time (seconds elapsed) is not shown, and exercises are based on time rather than the number of reps.
Endomondo is one of the best workout apps available, which helps to turn your phone into a personal trainer in your pocket. It is ideal for running, cycling, walking, bike riding, and other distance sports. It is simple to use and maintains accuracy, and allows the user to connect with friends. Its training plans and coaching features are good; however, they are only limited to premium users.
- The user can connect it to various devices and integrations.
- Includes real-time GPS tracking and lives map.
- Has the facility of audio coach feedback.
- The user can access his/her workout history and keep track of her workout goals.
- User can tag gears and friends, add pictures, and write a status message for one’s workouts.
- The user can connect it to a heart rate monitor, which will make it work as a heart rate sensor.
- The app can be customized, and it can be used to track multiple sports.
- Music can be played during workouts.
- Users can share their workouts on their favorite social networks through this app.
- Has good accuracy and a simple interface for the user.
- Great training and coaching plans for premium members.
- Supports a huge range of activities.
- Works with a wide variety of devices like Apple and Pebble watches.
- Expensive for monthly premium users.
- Lacks any special twists or features.
- It has possible bugs or stability issues with training bugs.
- It lacks an “only while using the app” option for location data.
Price: Paid for the premium version
The pact is one of the best workout apps that are available and is based on the simple behavioral economics principle that people are more motivated by not losing money than simply earning money. It was formerly known as GymPact. It is fit for anybody who wants to get fit to the extent that if he/she fails to keep up with his/her regular exercises, he/she will lose money.
- This fitness app works with the help of a daily challenge-based interface.
- The user has to log in and create a fitness pact for the week (Monday to Sunday).
- The user has to register a 30-minute workout routine for each day of the week. If the duration falls short of 30 minutes, it wouldn’t be counted.
- Earlier it was done by hitting the gym; however, nowadays, the user can also fulfill his daily goal by multiple activities like walking, running, etc.
- If a user fails to work out even a single day, he/she loses money top other users who work out every day.
- This app is clean and functional with a simple interface.
- It is a great idea that encourages healthy living.
- The user can log workouts by using the iPhone’s motion sensor or third party hardware (Jawbone UP, FitBit products).
- The payouts offered for rewarding workouts could be higher (currently $0.25-0.50 per workout).
- Customer service quality and response time can be improved as it has become inconsistent with the service’s growing popularity.
Fooducate is one of the best workout apps that are available, which doesn’t indulge in exercise or rigorous workout routines for the user but helps the user in deciding his diet throughout the day and also helps in providing in-depth knowledge and awareness regarding the same. To remain fit and healthy, we need to eat healthy too, and Fooducate is here to remind us that.
- A user can use Fooducate to scan a product barcode to see a personalized nutrition grade (A, B, C, or D).
- Can help a user to learn about a product’s pros and cons.
- It can help a user to choose healthier alternatives.
- Food intake and exercise can be tracked (seamlessly integrated with Apple’s Health app).
- Fooducate helps to track the quality of calories and not just quantity.
- A user can ask questions in the Fooducate community and get feedback from them.
- Fooducate can also be used to share tips and successes, which helps in motivating others.
- It helps in discovering things that manufacturers generally don’t want you to notice like excessive and added sugar, tricky trans fats, high fructose corn syrup, etc., by analyzing information found in product nutrition panels and ingredient lists.
- Fooducate can be personalized to meet one’s own needs.
- Fooducate makes the job of finding and viewing information on foods easier.
- The replace feature in the shopping list of the app, is a great way to swap out not so great options with better ones in just a few taps.
- “Healthy me” checks are an easy way to see how you stack up against many other users.
- More food items are updated and added regularly in Fooducate.
- The user interface (UI) could be improved as navigating through menus and back to the main “browse foods” section is a bit annoying.
- Sometimes, manually searching for keywords yields unrelated results.
MyFitnessPal is one of the best workout apps and calorie counting apps available due to its massive food database, cross-platform availability, and a long list of compatible apps and devices. This app is not a weight-loss program, but it’s an efficient tool to use in conjecture with one.
- The premium version of this app is ad-free, which helps you in meeting your goals without any distractions.
- Macronutrient goals can be set by either gram or percentage.
- It helps in food analysis.
- Goals can be customized for any day of the week.
- Exercises can be tracked without increasing your calorie or nutrient goals.
- Customer support is efficient.
- Meal level nutrition details, progress history, and exercise history can be exported.
- Plans are offered, which provides coaching and content you need to achieve a health and fitness goal.
- A user can log and bookmark his/her favorite recipe to help reach his/her fitness goals.
- This app has the best food database.
- It is compatible with many apps and devices.
- It has excellent input controls.
● Additional content in the app, such as recipes and videos, aren’t very interesting and compelling.
6. Zombies, Run!
This works like a fitness app but has a gaming interface, and because of this unique formula, it is regarded as one of the best workout apps that is available. This app aptly proves that exercise doesn’t have to be always boring; it can be made interesting by adding such a concept to it.
- Includes hypothetical zombie chasing, which gets our heart racing and encourages us to run.
- Has a total of 200 missions for times when we never run out of motivation.
- An award-winning story, which is proved by the fact that we get instantly hooked to the plot.
- Users can either walk, jog, or run, and this can be done anywhere: outside, indoors, in gyms.
- Has a concept of a base-building; that is, we have to run and collect supplies from rebuilding our hypothetical town.
- Can track their progress and share it in the community, or in any other social platform online.
- Users also have the autonomy to create their own missions.
- It has a fun storyline to keep you interested in your workout, which makes it one of the best workout apps.
- A user doesn’t necessarily have to be a runner to use this app. It works for walking and jogging, too.
- Users can listen to music through the app’s “radio station” or can connect to one’s own music.
- Can turn the feature of being chased by zombies if they don’t want that to happen.
- Don’t have to look at the screen while working out. All a user needs to do is listen.
- The app is very large. Upon downloading it, it recommends one to only use WiFi to download to avoid additional charges. Moreover, it takes a long time to download.
- A unique username needs to be created. However, if you don’t happen to register with a unique username, you aren’t informed then and there. You get to know after you have completed the registration process, and if you fail to have a unique username, you are asked to redirect to the registration page and enter your details all over again.
- Many features like increasing the difficulty of zombie chases, additional training plans, and interval training can only be accessed with the ‘pro’ membership.
7. Google Fit
Google fit is the in-built app of Google that is available in modern-day smartphones. Without any doubt, it is one of the best workout apps that are available, without having to download any eccentric workout app. It helps the user to keep track of his/her steps, and he/she can input data like calorie and water intake.
- It helps you to set goals and keep track of your daily activities to improve our overall health.
- It helps you with cardiovascular fitness by giving you heart points by accessing your daily activities.
- Helps you achieve your fitness goals by customized coaching based on your health and activity history.
- ●Can collaborate with a huge range of apps and devices.
- Automatically tracks walking, running, and bicycling.
- Records weight and (theoretically) heart rate.
- During the launch, the app seems incomplete.
- There is no entry field for recording sleep.
- It lacks a calorie-logging system.
- It does not estimate calorie burn.
Change starts here. 8fit is the leading fitness app and your mobile personal trainer. Enjoy quick workout routines combined with a simple healthy meal planner tailored for you. Whether your goal is to lose weight, get fit or gain weight, join 8fit, and start getting results and living a sustainable, happy, healthy lifestyle.
- It helps in meal planning, and the plan becomes available on your phone to look it up anytime.
- Helps in reaching your fitness goals by assessing your meals.
- It has a feature where you can keep a tab of your grocery lists.
- In 8fit, you can learn new recipes and get creative with healthy meals.
- Users can skip or swap meals, and 8fit can be used to keep a tab on them.
- It keeps a tab of our food habits, thus excusing us of the tedious task of planning meals every time.
- It has engaging exercise levels for fitness and good health.
- The shopping basket that is prepared here cannot be connected to shopping baskets in sites for direct purchase.
Fitbit is one of the best workout apps which uses video instructions for workouts.
As you log in to the app and create a Fitbit account, you need to conduct an 8-minute fitness test. Once you are done with the test, you can choose between various programmed workout sessions planned to keep a particular fitness goal in mind. If you want, you can also choose the Fitbit coach premium for personalized workouts.
- Fun, video-led workouts
- Workouts are led by trained Fitbit coaches. If you are unsure of how to perform a particular exercise, you may tap on it to see how exactly it is done. Fitness coaches are chosen before the test.
- No membership needed
- Illustrative instructions through video
- There is no such training plan
- Upgrading to premium services is a bit pricey.
- Syncing issues are seen in some devices.
- Complaints about the accuracy of results.
10. Adidas Runastic app
It is one of the best workout apps available for both Apple and Android users. It provides a decent amount of content in its free subscription. Like its peers, premium services require specific fees where you get guided meal plans, physician consultation, etc.
- Easy to use
- Very effective exercise routines.
- A maximum number of free content than its peers.
- Too many ads.
- Audio narration lacks motivational efforts.
Achieve your health and fitness goals with unlimited access to the best workout classes – from exercise styles ranging from cardio to strength training to HIIT, Yoga, Pilates, dance, barre and more – all from top celebrity trainers like Cassey Ho, Jeanette Jenkins, Katie Dunlop, Christine Bullock, Kenta Seki, Danielle Pascente, Caroline Pearce and many more. Fiton has got you covered no matter what your needs are!
- Learn and workout with the best trainers out there.
- Customized workout plans to reach your goals
- Lose weight, slim down, build muscle, get toned or relieve stress
- Workout anytime on-demand or join a live class
- No gym or workout equipment needed for workouts at home or on the go.
- No monitoring of workouts by anyone.
- Bad posturing while exercising can be harmful.
Proved itself as Europe’s best fitness app, Freeletics provide you with work out anytime, anywhere with the best digital personal trainer. Whatever your fitness level, achieve your goals quickly and build healthy habits with personalized HIIT workouts and audio coaching. Losing weight, gaining muscle, or improving your fitness has never been so simple.
- Work on yourself and your fitness free of excuses like time, equipment, space, money, or know-how.
- AI personal trainer tailors everything to you, learning from each exercise and piece of feedback to create your perfect workout every time.
- No two people get the same workout plan – this is fully personalized fitness.
- These apps follow a holistic approach to complete physical fitness.
- Not all workouts are free of cost.
- You have to self-monitor yourself.
13. Yoga studio
For yoga maniacs, this app is a good choice. It contains numerous yoga postures with pictures and instructions. Though it offers a seven-day trial, once subscribed, you get unlimited access.
- Numerous yoga videos.
- Good quality HD videos.
- Good user interface.
- Detailed information about every yoga posture.
- The subscription is pricey.
- Fewer trial days.
14. Fitness Coach
This is an iOS-based app, also considered one of the best workout apps available. It allows customizable workout plans with area-specific focus. Limited trial available, but once subscribed, you get various options.
- Good routines are available.
- Easily customizable regimes.
- Area-specific workouts, good for beginners.
- Limited to iOS platforms.
- Limited access free.
- Subscription plans not suitable for everyone.
15. Workout Trainer
home fitness coach- Presented to you be Skimble inc. Workout Trainer has got you covered! Looking for some awesome at-home bodyweight workouts to do? All you need is Workout Trainer!
Whether you like working out at home using just your bodyweight or minimal equipment, they’ve got you covered with thousands of free workouts and custom training programs led by expert coaches. There’s something new for you to play every day from the comfort of your home!
- This app provides you with a virtual trainer.
- Provides you with a variety of free workouts.
- Workout from anywhere, anytime!
- Minimal equipment’s required.
- As the home workouts are not monitored, users tend to skip exercise that they are not comfortable with.
- Routine workouts may not take place.
Finally, a fitness system that understands your pain, frustration, and schedule. With Sworkit, the feeling of being too busy, too intimidated, or too unmotivated will be a thing of the past. You can live your best life, once and for all.
Who says you can’t get and stay in shape? Make 2020 the year you finally take control. You don’t have to live in the gym to be fit. You can get in amazing shape with our at-home and on-the-go workout system. Millions agree and have used Sworkit to live healthier lives. It’s your turn!
- Lose weight, tone up, gain muscle, improve your flexibility, or level-up your endurance.
- Manage your workouts according to the time you have in your hands.
- Workouts with and without equipment are available.
- Working out with equipment without supervision can be dangerous.
17. MapMyFitness series from Under Armour
It is one of the apps from Under Armour. MapMyFitness is a top workout app which has a vast range of exercises. Not only exercises, but it also offers fitness features to keep up with the workouts. It also has a new feature to share your plans and sessions with fellow community members.
The best feature of the app is it filters everything you are doing under a healthy lifestyle. From vacuuming to rock climbing, it will track everything you do as a journey.
- It provides runners, cyclists, and walkers the ability to map, record, and track their workouts.
- It is a complete guide for a healthy lifestyle.
18. Simply Yoga
Simply Yoga is one of the best workout apps if you are more focused on yoga workout. It comes with a wide list of instructional videos on varied lengths that walk you through all the basic yoga asanas and making you learn even when you are stuck at home.
It is one of the best workout apps present on the app store and on play store. If you are looking for a more advanced level of yoga workout, then you can pay for a premium account and go forward with it.
19. PEAR Personal Fitness Coach
The PEAR Personal fitness coach app is one of the best workout app available on android and iOS for free.it is all about eye free, hands-free audio coaching. It provides users with a wide range of instructional videos and also adapts based on your performance.
It app plays well with all the fitness trackers and devices available, which allows you to keep track of all the activities and performance and shares metrics with all the devices. This iOS app is free, but if you want to binge on all the content, you have to pay for a premium account.
Jefit.com’s app is one of the incredible sources for users who usually look for bodybuilding and strengthening. It has a database of thousands of routines that targeted various body parts. This app comes with a detailed instructional tutorial, exercise log, workout tracker .so JEFIT is a complete app for the beginner who wants to workout in this COVID-19 period.
All-time accessibility of live trainers just reaches to them whenever needed! Seems interesting? Just download the app and start your routine, getting into the perks:
- Live training sessions
- All-time accessibility
- Perfect training sessions
- Services are paid.
22. 7minute workout
As the name suggests a 7-minute workout, suggest short clips for easy workout sessions whenever you’re in the mood of working out. It has 12 high-intensity bodyweight exercises. Each exercise takes 30 seconds, and you may take a break of 10 seconds between exercises. What makes it one of the best workout apps is that it is both voices prompted and also has a video and text description of the exercise.
- No trainer
- Saves time and puts full concentration as you have to complete the entire exercise without looking at the timer or device.
- Time your workout with prompting for each new exercise and breaks.
23. Studio Tone it Up
App having women trainers for professional training sessions. Focuses on strengthening the body and providing swiftness with Yoga, cardio, boxing, etc.
- Interactive classes
- Weekly Classesyoga w
- Daily short classes also available
24. Yoga Wake up
Put an alarm while waking up, and this app will guide you with the short yoga sessions to give your morning a healthy start.
- Focuses on Yoga
- Easy exercises
- Make your morning cheery and provide you a healthy start.
Keelo is up with a full-body workout plan. It does not miss any muscle out and covers the whole body workout every day.
- Full body workout
- HD instructional Videos
- User-friendly Interface
- Easy to use.
An app built to provide a custom workout to every user. If you want a personal trainer but are not able to make it to the gym, then the app is made for you.
- Customized workout plans
- Easy to use
- Online video lectures available
- Step by Step Guidance
- One to One mentorship.
As now, you are aware of many apps and the way they work. This TRX app, which makes you look fit and well-shaped. TRX allows you to do your workout at home, and the trainer is light and compact. Also, it won’t even take up much space. Plus, it syncs with an Apple Watch so that you can get updated with real-time results about your workout activities.
Aaptiv is one of the best workout apps. Instead of demonstrating workout sessions, it talks it out. As soon as you log into the app, it takes key information from you, such as your goal (losing weight, strengthening muscles or keeping fit), current exercise habits, the equipment you have access to. Once it has taken key information, it automatically decides your work out schedule.
Your workout routine comes with a duration. It is split into categories, and each category has a difficulty level, which you may choose according to your level. Though the app comes with a monthly fee, it comes with a free trial and more than 3000 classes plus motivational challenges.
- Ease of not using a screen during a workout.
- Featured licensed music to avoid hopping between apps.
- Cheerful motivational coaches.
- Variety of workouts.
29. Asana Rebel
Basically, a yoga app, Asana Rebel, is one go for a healthy lifestyle and better sleep and hygienic schedule. Like all workout apps, you need to register on the app by entering your basic details. You can browse various yoga practices, but you need to have a premium plan for accessing it. Your premium plan will include guided meditation to help you sleep better.
Workouts here categorized into relieving tension and core work. It comes with a long description to help you choose according to your need.
- Encourage a healthy lifestyle
- Customized daily plans
- Variety of workout
Last but not least, our very own YouTube! From Chloe ting’s 14-day shred challenge to Anna Victoria’s Booty-Sculpting Gym Workout, youtube has got you covered! With equipment or without them it’s your choice when to work out it’s your choice so. Basically, it provides you with a whole lot of freedom to get fit the way you want to!
- You can choose from a wide variety of workouts and trainers according to your needs.
- You can work out anytime and anywhere.
- These workouts are 100% free and fun!
- You can easily get distracted because of a whole lot of content available on YouTube!
Working out with the help of apps can be a lot of fun. Just remember to stay focused, safe, and motivated intrinsically. I hope this article would help you choose the right app for all your workout needs.
Stay safe, and stay fit.